Monday, May 12, 2014

2014.05.11 Mother's Day Letter

Surprise!

I wasn't sure if we'd be emailing on Mother's day, but I've got a little time.^^

I love you all so much. I don't even know where to begin. I'll start with mom. Here in Korea, it's not as big. May has lots of holidays, including one for parents day. But Mothers day isn't celebrated. I sure am glad for my mother though. She's a saint,she almost single handed raised 8 children, and I don't think I have ever heard her say a negative thing about the matter. Maybe that it is sometimes tiring or that she wishes she was better than she already is, but never did I hear her say that it wasn't worth it. I never heard her complain of the sacrifices she made. But I can see what she has given for us, and I am so grateful for it. I remember as a toddler asking her to read to me and having her share with me Jesus the Christ. Those who know the story know how special it is to me. It was the start of our reading club, but more than that, it became a firm anchor in my own testimony. Young as I was, I didn't understand what was being read, but even now I remember the feeling I had as I listened. As I grew older, that feeling helped me recognize the spirit more. I don't know if she fully knows what she has done for me, but I hope one day she can feel a piece of it.

That was only one of many memories of my mother. Others include a quiet morning where we go on a bike ride with just the two of us. I still don't remember the reason or purpose of the ride, but as the last of eight children, that quiet time with just the two of us felt very special to me. There were a lot of those. I also recall nights of reading club, days spent baking together and learning the joys of cooking. I remember days being taught with my mom as my teacher, learning anything from math to art. Never criticizing, always supporting. I felt like I could ask her anything. Often, she would tell me where to find the answers, other times she would teach me herself. She taught me love, as well as faith. She shared with me the joy of learning. I remember her often saying, "look in the dictionary," or "if you can read, you can cook." Those practices helped me more than I would ever know. They taught me curiosity and gave me a thirst for knowledge.

But the thing I am the most grateful for is the home she provided for us. A sanctuary for the spirit. Family prayer and scripture reading has always been natural because from the time I was young, she protected those habits. I don't remember many days where we did not pray together or read together from the scriptures. I remember monday nights of family home evenings. We may have missed sometimes, and I may not remember what we talked about or learned, but I remember what I felt. And that too has become an anchor for my testimony. 

Looking back, it would have been easy to lose those blessings. Easy not to pray. Easy not to get up for seminary. But I had a mother that fought for them. Protected them. Even when it was hard. I didn't realize what difference that makes in a family. But I do now. I can say with confidence that I know Christ is my Savior. And I, like the Sons of Helaman, attribute that to my mother.

My mom is awesome. She's artistic, a great cook, powerful reader, and wise friend. She's a shoulder I could always lean on, arms ready to embrace, and has ears that would always listen. In times of trial, I would always find her in prayer. And then, with a heart of faith, she would give the Lord her all. I've never seen her decline a calling, despite demands on her time, I never heard her speak against poorly of those the Lord has chosen, even when her thoughts disagreed. She showed me what loyalty to the Lord meant. She showed me trust in something more.

I love her more than words can express, and I am proud to be her son.

So don't all be jealous, I'm sure your mothers are great too, but I'm inclined to say mine is the best.

~Elder Robarts

No comments:

Post a Comment