Sunday, July 20, 2014

2014.07.20

Dear Home,

What a fun week! So, we had zone conference, and I was reminded of how old I am. Since this was my last zone conference, a couple times it came up that I was leaving. Comparing transferring areas to returning home. To members, it's the same. And to some extent, we need to do the same. What preparations would you do for the missionaries that come after? What work do you not want left undone? A couple other things too.
 
Until that point, I didn't realize that it was my last one. It hadn't registered. Training was fun though. It talked about planning, and the importance of thinking ahead. They went over a lot of tips that I'd started just doing on my own, but they made some new records that make it easy to update and organize. The coolest thing is that it makes communicating plans between companions better. Before, a lot of it was just in my planner or in my head, so I couldn't always express thoughts very clearly. But now it's something we both see, and it's easier to go over. AP's did good.^^

This week we found out that a LA member we met last week started going to church again! His family is here, and we bumped into him on the street. Arranged to visit his house, talked a bit, and when it was time to go back to school in another city, he said he'd start coming out again. So far he's been doing well! 
 
Met a couple prepared people on the street too. A father who feels like values are changing, and it's harder and harder to spend time with family. He especially wants his son to know that joy in life doesn't come from money, or worldly success, but in family and gratitude for what you have. An academy teacher that had heard a lot about the church before and wanted to learn more about it. An atheist who struggles with the idea with belief, but wants to help others live better lives. Says the principles of the gospel seem like I good place to start.

Missionary work is so incredible. A lot of the people that we're meeting now have a lot of potential. That one family I mentioned last week is amazing. The father started becoming more interested in church, said that he wants to take his family as soon as he fixes his car situation. (Broke down and they need to buy a new one) Prayed for the first time last week! I love hearing those prayers. So honest. Just like Lamoni's father.

Fun news: I gave a talk in church again this week, plus one of the teachers for Sunday school was gone, so I taught the youth. Preparing to go to the Temple.^^ Got to share an object lesson of the bowl of water and pepper where you put your finger into it and it comes out dirty, but if you coat your finger with dish soap it comes out clean and pushes the pepper away. We talked about the power of the Temple. The importance of being worthy of it, and the power that comes from going. I wish I was better at teaching, but I lucked out on the subject. Sacrament meeting was on having sincere hearts. Definitely get to participate a lot in this ward.^^

I love this work. It's fun, rewarding, challenging, driving, and it will show you things about yourself that you'd never see otherwise. Things to strengthen, things to be grateful for. And above all, you're surrounded by the power of the Gospel. Have a good week! Love you guys!
~Elder Robarts

No comments:

Post a Comment