Sunday, July 6, 2014

2014.07.06

Dear Home,

We had a great week this week! It feels so different now. I'm taking on a new role here this transfer. Fading out of the leading role and focusing more on mentoring, if you want to call it that. My old companion is serving as District Leader now, so President asked that I help him settle in for the transfer I'm still here. He's doing great! In addition to that, I think my new companion might be going senior next transfer, so I'm trying to help him get in some practice. Language, teaching, planning, the whole nine yards.

I've also started my "Lessons learned" journal. What works, what didn't, and just random tools that are useful. There's not a whole lot of time for it, but I should have a little now that I don't have to worry 100% coordinating district stuff.  It's been fun looking back at it all.

This Gospel, this mission, changes your life. You never really just how big of a change that is until you see your desires change. I love serving. While a missionary, you go from doing things you know you should to doing things you love, which are good. Sharing the Gospel, sacrificing time and efforts for others. Simply taking time to plan ahead.

There are few things as meaningful and of great a value as serving the Lord and directing your thoughts towards others.

This week, we met a Taekwondo instructor that told us that he used to go to church, and sets aside time in his schedule so that he can go, but doesn't feel right about the atmosphere of his last church. We talked a little about our relationship with God, and church is simply there to help support it. He took a big interest in the Book of Mormon and said he would start praying again. Pretty cool miracle.

Also paid a special visit to a less active family in our ward. We followed a prompting to visit, and it was the one day the husband came home early from work. Usually he gets home at 10. But since he was there, we could go inside and talk a little. Their family is so beautiful. Their testimonies are strong as well. It's just hard to come out sometimes. They have family in the countryside that need their help a lot, a family member with cancer in Seoul, and the husband recently injured his arm. I was glad we were able to visit that night. There have been a couple times I really feel like our visits have been inspired with their family. The spirit is so strong when we visit them.

There's no doubt for me. This is the work of God. There's no way it can't be. I've witnessed a peace enter into people's hearts that can't be described. And in serving, I've learned just how plain and precious the Gospel really is. It's not big and showy. It's inside us. It's a prayer answered by a loving Father. It's a calling to save another's life, or to lift arms hanging down. For that, I'm grateful. More than I can possibly tell.

I love you guys! You're the best. I hope you have a good week!

~Elder Robarts

No comments:

Post a Comment