Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014.01.05 email

Hey, all!

I love this mission. You forgot how tired you are sometimes. But this week was good. We've been trying a lot of new tricks lately, and seeing some miracles. First off, we recently got a flip chart from the mission to use in lessons. Although, to be honest, we've found a better use for it. We use it every comp study. We pick a single principle for the other to teach. Then afterward we teach a full lesson using it to help us tag team. In Korea, the hardest part of teaching is probably teaching in unity. It's hard to teach in unity when your companion doesn't always know what is going on. I noticed that in training, but it's true all the time. With a foreign language like Korean, it's hard to follow perfectly. But through something as simple as teaching principles individually, it's been so much easier to transition. That's another thing. Every companion you have will usually have a slightly different companionship study style. When you find what clicks, things are awesome. For me and Elder Keyser, it's Roleplay. That's how we communicate our investigators needs.

Been trying to be more creative lately. Flip charts, cups, utilizing gospel videos more. So many things at our disposal, it's been cool to see a change in our investigators as we adapt our teaching style more.

This transfer is almost over. I can't believe it. I've been here for a while, and so has Elder Keyser. We have no idea what's happening, but I think Elder Keyser is at least going senior next transfer. He's more than ready. Not sure where the cards will fall, but I love it here. Members are just plain awesome. This week, one of them volunteered to coordinate member lessons for us. He got up in third hour and explained what he was doing, then went up to each person individually and asked them when they are available. Then he met with us. Checked all of our current appointments, found people, and he said he'd call each of them that night. Awesome guy.

At the moment, we're in the process of restarting our investigator pool. A lot of them have slowed down or dropped, and we're looking for some fresh souls. (I hope that doesn't sound bad.) Whenever there's a drought of new people, even if you /have/ a large number of investigators already, you hit this slump where not many new ideas come. You need things moving. Finding, dropping, using things learned with one investigator to help another. If they don't move, it gets stuck. We're pushing for that now. We've got a couple awesome people, but we want to be at our best to help them.

As it is, I'm realizing how short a time I have left. I need to make the most of every second. Loving it though. Learning a lot, and I'm excited to see how these lessons apply to life back home. There's a lot of that. Keep praying for my investigators, You're always in my prayers. I love you, and hope you have a good week!

Oh yeah, we had a good new years. Really funny because all of our investigators are a different age now. I'm 23 by the way. Korea count makes me feel old.

~Elder Robarts

No comments:

Post a Comment