Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013.12.29 email

What an awesome week!

Some of the highlights: Had a last meeting with an investigator. Prepared guy, let me tell you. He's moving to Seoul, but we've been meeting for 4 weeks, and he's accepted the message of the Restoration, the Plan of Salvation, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ really well. And when it came up that he's moving, He asked Us to introduce him to the missionaries up there. There's a new light in his eyes each time we met. He reads and prays so well, and he told us he felt something different when he prayed with us for the last time. He's so ready to receive the Gospel, we're going to be following up a lot as he keeps meeting in Seoul. His family is still down here, so he plans to visit a lot. Such a great person, we'll both miss him a ton.

Also, there's a program here to help with member missionary work. First off, we always pray for members. We pray for them, and they pray for our investigators. We've so many miracles like the investigator who disappeared for two months and came back. Now we're praying for them. And specifically, we pray with a ward list next to us, and we pray to know who has someone near them that is being prepared to receive the Gospel. If a name comes, talk to them. If not, don't worry. But when we talk, simply share the experience, acknowledge they probably don't know who it is either, but ask them to pray to know who, and how they can invite. So far, we've had two names come to mind. First time, the member brought a friend to church, even before we had a chance to talk to him. Then this week, the name of a less active came to mind. We went to visit last night, and before we could mention it, he said he knew someone for us to visit. Needless to say, we were surprised both times, but it was pretty amazing.

We had a good Christmas, and I've been able to learn a lot recently. One thing about having a district to look after. Makes you think a LOT. This week, my thoughts are on Ammon and Aaron, and some differences in their experiences. Alma 17-21ish if you're interested. Ammon became a servant, and sought for them to become his friends and "brethren" (Alma 17:30). Aaron and some of the others were more simply "contending about the word" (Alma 21:11). At least at first. It changed after they met up with Ammon again. Results changed too.

Last week, the impression that came was that what we teach doesn't help them nearly as much as what they learn on their own. Our goal should always be to help them learn for themselves. Especially through the scriptures.

This week, the impression is that in order to help them do that, we must first be their friends, their brethren. We must love them and want their happiness. That should be more important to us that simply teaching material. Big lesson that I wanted to remember. And it's something we always need a refresher on sometimes.

The feeling is just so weird sometimes. Having ideas of things I need to consider and study, extending beyond myself. As a result, it helps me a lot more than anything else. But I've really come to learn how sacred that time is in District Meeting. It's a time where we can receive revelation. And preparing for it, I've felt that revelation come a number of times. Sometimes through external sources. This morning, I read it in the Book of Mormon, President Shin even mentioned it in the Conference Call with the mission this week. It all confirmed the things I was already thinking about. The spirit truly is a powerful thing.

But it's not just in missionary work. Every week our family has District Meeting. It just goes by the name of Family Home Evening. Every week we have an opportunity to create an environment to receive revelation. And in preparing for it, we can experience those same impressions. When I made that connection, it brought a lot of peace. Heaven knows, I'd miss this feeling if I couldn't have it anymore after my mission. But we all can. That's the beauty of the Gospel.

~~~~

It may not show, but that's been on my mind a lot lately. But in other news, life is good, I love the tie you guys sent me. Everything else is amazing too, but that was something I've been looking forward to. It's nice to look at in the morning. I hope you guys enjoyed the phone call as much as I did. I know it can be stress sometimes with such a short time, but I loved it.

I hope you are all doing well! I love you! Have an awesome week, and remember that God loves you! Happy new year!

~Elder Robarts

No comments:

Post a Comment