Sunday, February 16, 2014

2014.02.16 email

Not much time for writing now. Lot's came up. First, this morning we got to help do some farming at a member's place, and then the bus back to 광주 was too full so we didn't get back until an hour later. But, I still love you guys!
This week was fun. Lots of exploring new areas. A couple of our investigators couldn't meet, so we had a little extra time. But we got to find a couple cool people, and visited some members. We've been looking for some new ways to help them here. One thing that came to mind recently was that in order to help encourage them, experiences seem to help the most. Simple times that have helped us, or things that we did as members when we tried to do these things too. We're not perfect, but God helps our efforts. So we've been really focusing more on that, and it's helped a lot. Shared about FHE and showed a simple get to know you game they can use as an activity. Simple things, but I'm a strong believer in Alma 37:6-7. (that should be the right verse...)

Anyway, good times. I've also learned that I like memorizing scriptures in Korean. They are good wells of strength during the day, and it feels a little more powerful when you hear it in your head in two languages. I memorized this one yesterday. Props to anyone who can find it. 보라, 나는 하나님의 아들 예수 그리스도의 제자라. 나는 그의 백성 가운데 그의 말씀을 선포하여, 그들로 영생을 얻게 하기 위하여 그에게 부름을 받았느니라.

Found out about this a while back. Turns out every sister companionship in the mission recites Our purpose, James 1:5 and the First vision in Korean before companionship study every morning. None of the Elders knew about it, and I've only done it with a couple companions. But we started doing it together, as well as one additional scripture we want to memorize that week. Got me on the memorizing bug. I've also made a goal to finish the Book of Mormon in Korean before going home. I wish I'd made the goal earlier, but there were always more pressing things to study, and the language in the BoM and other scriptures isn't common (not perfect language study by itself...). That said, since starting, I've noticed a huge help with the language. When I first came out, everyone told me not to use a lot of time on it, but it's been a great tool. I just like reading in Korean.

Good week though. Elder Keyser is awesome, and we've been seeing a lot of cool miracles. One investigator that has hated religion most of his life was finally able to pray with his daughter this week. He's been praying in his heart for a while now, but vocal prayers are hard for him outside of us meeting. And his daughter still doesn't like church, so it was a great thing to hear that they were able to do it together. Hearts are opening.^^ I love this place. The people make any mission worth living. Seeing the love God has for them changes you. All in a good way.

Out of time, but I love you guys! Have a great week!

~Elder Robarts

1 comment:

  1. Team Hidden Cottage and Team Patch found the scripture Elder Robarts quoted above in Korean. :)

    ReplyDelete