Sunday, February 23, 2014

2014.02.23 email

It begins again!
 
Transfer calls, and with it comes the end of my time in 풍향. I'll miss it so much. Last night we expected this was coming. Spent a lot of it visiting members and saying goodbye. It was hard. After serving here for almost 7 months, this has become another home to me. Two particular families we visited were especially amazing. One of them was a family who we were able to help give service for when I first got here. We helped them with building their house, and I can still remember how good it felt to be giving that kind of service again. Hard to find that in Korea. But ever since then, we've been very close. Yesterday we had dinner with them, they made a fire in their frontyard (also hard to find in Korea), we got to play with their dog and their kids for a while, and we shared a scripture that reminded me of them. They're so amazing. They are always sharing the Gospel, always happy, and always looking for ways to serve others. I did really well for the first part, but the prayer at the end was hard. When the father and son gave us hugs goodbye, I completely lost it. Earlier they asked me what "가정은 지상의 천국" meant (a common motto for the church here), "Home/Family is Heaven on Earth." I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. I've talked about families so special that if all I could do here was meet them, it would be an honor. They were definitely one of them. The second was too. Our Stake President. He was a convert. For the longest time he snuck out pretending to play soccer so he could come to church. He's had so much love for the Young Men, and for everyone in his stake. You can feel it. He gets to know everyone. No matter who you are, you feel important when he talks to you. You stand a little straighter. He's always looking for ways to strengthen those in this area. One of the things I'm grateful for is that I'm still in his Stake. Just a different city.
 
I love this work. It's been an incredible time here in 풍향, it'll be hard to leave, but I'm excited to start again in 목포 (Mokpo), my new area. I've kept up my tradition so far. I've been slowly making my way south. I started at the very top, and have moved down little by little ever since. Now I'm at the very southern tip of Korea. I get there Thursday, and my new companion is Elder Williams. Looking forward to it. From what I hear, he's a hard worker, and a top notch missionary. As for the future, I have no idea. I won't be DL this transfer, so I'll be able to focus a lot of working with the Members. Definitely looking forward to that.
 
Anyway, I love you all! Lots of things to do, so I have to go, but it was a great week! Thank you for all of your love!
 
~Elder Robarts

No comments:

Post a Comment