Wednesday, February 6, 2013

snail mail dated 2013.01.21

Week 13
01-21-2013

Dear Home,

It feels like ages since I've sent a decent letter home.  I guess I always expect that someday I won't be as busy.  Not likely to happen for a while.

It's okay though.  And this new area is great.  I guess from the materialistic view, it's a step down from (something in Korean) Pyeongtaek's Lotte Castle, but as a missionary you don't really care much about that. 

It was unnatural to begin with American food, fancy sinks, being able to request specific American foods every week.  weird

Also, I love our river.  Didn't realize it before, but I've missed having a good river nearby.  And the subway is nice, too.  Its incredible how much is underground in Korea.  In Pyeongtaek there was a 6 floor deep parking basement.  Very normal.
And all these little shops on the street have at least one story underneath.  crazy. deceptive.  I can't even describe the apartments.  Walls of apartments, easily 20 stories high.  Not even uncommon for them to be higher.

From our apartment, we can see the homes of thousands, tens of thousands of people.  Mind blowing.  America is big, but spread out.  I miss that, but it's cool to see this way of the world.

Also, here in the city, so far from our apartment (usually 40-50 minutes away with subway) we stop by restaurants a lot for dinner.  Some really nice places here.  You can find a filling meal for 3,000 wan $3 here.  Plus, I've seen the Korean equivalent of fast food now.  Also cheap, but they put it in these little leftover carton like things.  Pretty good.

Good thing, too.  We use about $2.50 (odd, for America that's not bad)  a day (sometimes more) on transportation, so that's a good chunk of our budget.  Usually at home we eat rice, eggs, onions, and when we have it, kimchi. (out right now)

These members are great.  I met a lot of them this week, and I just love talking to them.  Patient with the language,  great stories, and they encourage you a lot with learning new things.

One fun thing though is seeing what's the same here and in the US.  For example, E-Mart and Homeplus seem pretty similar to Costco, maybe a tad smaller.  But the cafe is almost the same.  (That's where we are now)  As missionaries, you don't buy much, but stores like these are pretty nice.

There was more I was supposed to talk about.  What was it?  Oh, one fun thing: Here they do little introduction cards to put up on the board when a new missionary comes.  I still need to make mine, but I might play off the fact that our name sounds like robot.  Picture later maybe.  (see 2013.01.27 pictures http://benjaminrobarts.blogspot.com/2013/01/20130127-pictures.html )

Anyway, I should wrap up.  Love you guys! Enjoy!  I'll try to get something more interesting if I can think of it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment