Sunday, February 3, 2013

2013.02.03 (home) or 04 (Korea) email

Dear Home,

Wow, I'll have to talk to the Hruby's again and let them know, that's
crazy! Brother Hruby was pretty sick this week, so he wasn't able to
make it to church. Maybe we'll try to visit later.

Speaking of which, lot's of fun stuff this week. But first, the spiritual.

FSS(Family Scripture Study): Isaiah is a pretty cool guy. But one thing I love about him is the fact that his writings are so hard to understand helped protect a
lot of prophesies about the restoration, time of Christ, and even the second coming. Cool, huh? Chapter 27 in 2 Nephi is particularly fun. Too bad a lot of it got cut out of Isaiah. Still a good chunk there. And luckily for the harder chapters of Isaiah, Nephi has some good insights. Great reading them together and comparing things. Also, Nephi 31 and 32 are great missionary scriptures. We use those guys all the time. Good reading this week.

PSS (Personal Scripture Study): Right now the mission is studying Alma for an upcoming mission tour, so I've been in there a lot. Lot's of great stuff. But I just love Alma the younger. He's incredible. Alma 29: 1, 6, and 9 is particularly good. That's a consecrated missionary. Humble too. Alma 36:24 He never stopped working. If you look at where he started, his story is just plain incredible. I've enjoyed reading again.

Also, in Zone Conference we learned about our responsibility to the Holy Ghost. Namely, being worthy, listening, and following. Interesting thought though. A quote from David A Bednar. What doctrines and principles of the Gospel, if understood, would help us more quickly follow the spirit? Study those, look for scriptures, compare examples, and practice. Good challenge.


A little bit of the fun stuff now.
 First off, transfers threw me off, but I was supposed to say happy birthday to Patrick. Could you find him on facebook or something? Or Andrew could say hi. I told him last year I'd say something.

Also, I've been studying the area here a LOT lately. This area is huge. Maybe five times the size of my last area? Not sure. But there are four sister missionaries splitting the same area. We get it all though. Plus, we live outside of our area, so I've got to get our local area figured out too. LOT's of ground to cover. I'll try to get a picture of one of the bus maps. (There are 8 that I'm studying right now.)

Lot's of smaller area names to memorize. Crazy. Luckily, there's a new address system they're working on inplementing. I may have mentioned being scared of it before, but it's actually really good. The roads have names now. Most Koreans don't use them, but they're helping me place landmarks and get bearings. The hard part is roads that have names change.

Anyway, I'm slowly building a map in my head of where things are.

Also, there's a favor I wanted to ask. Could you guys find some Tongue twisters? They're good for english class, but most of the ones we can think of they've already heard before. We need less common ones if you can find them.

Weather. Kind of weird here. It warms up, rains, stays warm for about a day and then drops like crazy, snows, and slowly gets back to normal. And rains again. The dropping part is weird though. Yesterday it was colder in the afternoon than it was in the morning. I got to hear a new sound: the sound of trees and bushes freezing. Kind of fun. =D Lots of crackling.

Also, Solar is coming up. New years, really big here. Makes missionary work impossible, so we'll be deep cleaning our apartment for a day. Looking forward to it. Also, I forgot to mention this. The missionary I replaced died this transfer. Finished his mission and went home. Well, he left a lot of stuff, so I've been going through it. Some of it is pretty useful, and my companion doesn't want any of it. So I've gotten some more stock of toothpaste and deodorant, a nice coat hook
to put on the back of a door. (Surprisngly useful.) A couple other things too.

This transfer we've been having the hardest time meeting investigators. They're always busy. And with Solar coming up, where people all travel to their hometowns and such, three day holiday, missionary work is going to tank. It aparently does that every year and they spend a month trying to catch up again. Looking forward to that. We've got a few people we're excited about though. Just have to hold on. :)

Anyway, fun times here. I think that might be all I've got. I've got to email president and I'll try to send pictures later.

Till then!
~Elder Robarts

Not a great picture, but I wanted to get an example. There's ALWAYS something underground. Pretty sure that's the case any time you're walking outside in the city here.

So this is one of eight that I'm working on learning. Not counting the subways(those are easy). Korea is a dense place, but when you can use the public transit well, it's pretty easy to get around.



No comments:

Post a Comment