Sunday, January 27, 2013

2013.01.26 email

Dear Home,

Our investigator in 평택 was baptized!!!! I wrote about her a while back. She's the student that lived in for a foreign exchange program for a year or so. Friend and roomate there introduced her to the church. Anyway, my Elder 박 called me Sunday and told me. YAY!!!! She was a miracle from the start. We saw a lot of those in my first area. The Lord definitely answered my prayers, and I was saying a lot of them. Those first few months, I didn't think I was doing anything right. We weren't having much success my first transfer. We had investigators, but they weren't moving much. I couldn't really build relationships with them in Korean.

It was really hard to 전도 not being comfortable with the language, and no one wanted to talk. I didn't really know what I was doing wrong, how to improve. But I realized something. There isn't a perfect way to do this. Sometimes, a lot of the time, people won't want to talk to us. There's a little we can do to try to change that, but so often it's out of our hands. All we do as missionaries is invite. We work hard everyday, face a lot of people who reject our message, and wait diligently for the day the Lord puts the right person in our path. If we're working hard, he'll do it. My first transfer, I couldn't do anything. But the Lord practically threw investigators at us. It was humbling really. I struggled to feel like I was doing enough. I didn't want to waste those chances He'd given.

But this work is real. It's bigger than us. I can't speak Korean. I can barely communicate. But there's a lot of help. Good companions, and a Father in Heaven that's eager to see His children come home.

Anyway, I've been feeling a lot more like a missionary lately. Realizing things that are important. Before I get off the spiritual part of this letter, I wanted to mention something I noticed about Korea. They treat the Sacrament very sacred. I want to remember that. When they prepare it, they use a kettle and slowly pour it at the table itself. When they pass, at the end, the passers and the blessers both bow. And I mentioned this before. Some buildings use the same room for chapel and activity room, so when they aren't using the chapel, they close it off with curtains. If the curtains are open, you treat the room like a chapel. Very special.

Family scripture reading: Figures I'd join just in time for the Isaiah chapters... I mean, yeah! Isaiah is my favorite! To be completely honest, I actually do really like Isaiah. There are some nuggets in there if you look. One of my favorite chapters is 22. It speaks to me so much sometimes. Absolutely love it. I found a good time to read too. Breakfast. usually a little spare time. Not enough for a real deep look that you need for Isaiah, but nice.

Anyway, lot of people here today, so I can't waste much time. LOTS of culture this week.
Dog soup, already talked about.

Cooking: butter is expensive for missionaries, but I've learned that oil works pretty well as a sub. Been using that a lot. Even found baking powder, so I made some Lembas. Not everything was a success though. Don't make alfredo for a Korean. Kind of plain taste, especially when you don't have many ingredients. To them, /no/ taste. Opposite of all korean food. Haha... 

Also, fun thing I saw. Our toilet has instructions. Little stick figure pictures and everything. so fun. =D

Sandals in the Bathroom. Makes sense here. Drains in the floors, no shower curtains. Keep your feet dry when you walk in.

Also, Some things that aren't common in Korea. Bathrooms. Outside you don't find many. At gas stations, restaurants, 없다. Go before you leave. Garbage cans. Not many. Hard to pick up liter on the street sometimes when there's no place to put it... Drinking fountains. All water has to be filtered. Not much public water. Stop signs. Don't exist here. Tried to explain it to my companion, he thinks they're dumb. Different driving culture here.

Different ways you tie scarfs change how warm they are. Makes sense. Didn't learn that in California though. I've found a couple favorites I like to tie. Scarfs are nice.

Thanks for the pencils Mom! I use them to add color to my life. Matching ties and pencils when I leave the house. Little things missionaries can change. On that note. There are ties here! Or in 대전 anyway. We're going there for Zone conference, so I may have found a use for some of the christmas money you sent. Looking forward to that.

Also, met somebody this Sunday. The Hruby's, a family that lived in America for five years. Husband is American. Fun part: They lived in Rosemont/Brighton Wards. They knew a lot of people I did as we were talking. Not much time to talk at the time, we had a lesson, but I'm looking forward to getting to know them. Anyone recognize the name? Should I say hi for anyone? The wife is a really awesome Korean woman. And they should have had a baby shortly before they moved. Named Ben. Small world, no?

Holy cow that was a lot. Didn't go into depth much, but I'm still out of time. Love you guys. I'll try to get a letter written to give more details, but it's not super likely. Just know I love you!

~Elder Robarts 로바트 장로 (found a keyboard shortcut to switch keyboards. I'll try to use it more. [Does it copy okay?])

2 comments:

  1. Small world it is...tell the Hruby's the Eccles say hello

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is wonderful... Tell the Hruby's that the Harris's said Hi also... we think of them.

    ReplyDelete