Sunday, January 20, 2013

email 2013.01.20 with pictures!

Dear Home,

Well great. There's a TON to cover this week. Not sure if I'll hit everything.

First off, this area's computers are Great! Should be able to get a few pictures in.

#1 Our Pyeongtaek English class. We had so much fun with them, and our last one was the best one yet. I'll miss those guys, but I'm excited for this new area.

#2 The view from our appartment. Not actually in our area. This one was recently opened, before it only had sister missionaries.

#3 Apparently it's warmer in Daejeon. We it a warm spell, got a little rain. Melted our frozen river. Lot's of water. Blocked off the shortcut we usually take to get across. Without it you just take a walk to the next road bridge, pretty decent distance, but we usually have to take the subway anyway. Our church is pretty far away.
#4 This is a distant shot of our area.We work in the city now, so it's a bit different from Pyeongtaek. I'll get into that later though. I just wish I could get a good shot of the city. These haven't quite done them justice.


#5 I can't remember if this was the good one or not... But this was my old district. Man I'll miss those guys. Fun fact: Burst mode is so nice for timed pictures. It gives you three or five options to choose from to get a good shot. ^^


Anyway, I'll send these and get back to writing.
Snap, I didn't get one with Elder Cho, my new companion. I was supposed to do that today.
Just a sec. What else to I have...


Anyway, I'll send these and get back to writing.

No, #4 wasn't a shot of our area. That's by our house. Ours is behind those.


This one might be our area. Hard to tell with these little previews...

There, Here's me and Elder Cho. Kind of rushed, but oh well.




Anyway,

The area.

I love this place. ^^ No army base, just a two man house, about a 40-50 min trip to the church when we take the subway, and lots of walking. I'm enjoying the work here, it's a lot of fun. :) Pyeongtaek was a lot different from here. Here, we have a National University, so there's a lot of people with English interest here. I've learned to be okay with that. For a while I just felt like an English teacher sometimes, but I'm beginning to understand. Missionary work is about helping people feel the spirit. English might be a bit of a stumbling block sometimes, but it opens doors that we wouldn't have otherwise. While reading member records, I learned that lot's of members started because of English. As long as it doesn't take away from more important things, it seems to help. But more importantly, it's great for BRT. (building a relationship of trust) I've been noticing that lately. Last area, there wasn't much English interest (army bases might do that. With so many foreigners, we're nothing special), but here, there's plenty. And English is great for talking comfortably. I didn't have that as much before. But when you can talk like that beforehand, it's SO much easier to teach. That's something I didn't appreciate before my mission.

This place is so awesome. Another cool thing we've started hear is story telling. Great way to learn a language. It shows you what you don't know, let's you practice, and it's pretty fun. I've been realizing how many of my life's stories I'm forgetting. I need to think about them more.

I guess this place isn't perfect. From a material point of view, not much competes with Pyeongtaek's Lotte Castle. And with a two man house and Korean Companion, talking comfortably is a little hard sometimes, but it's nice. And my Korean is getting a lot better here. I love working with Elder Cho, he's a really good missionary. Nice teaching style, too, lot's of pictures. Probably will try to use some of that later. But he's great to talk with. The members too.

So many awesome things. Anyway, no senior couples here, but there are two sets of sister missionaries here. Had some fun teaching english with them Saturday. And two of them went through the MTC at the same time as me. One from the older group, one from the younger. Fun stuff, but I think I'm pretty much out of time. I'll try to write more later, but time is short. I've got to build some 정 with my companion. Super important out here. So I might be practicing my ping pong skills later. Also useful BRT with investigators. (It's amazing how much of missionary work I didn't consider missionary work until I got out here. If your investigators aren't comfortable with you, you can't teach. Took me a while to learn that.)

What else was there? Ah, so there's a Costco in our zone now. Not sure how to access it, but I might try to find some stuff. Baking Powder maybe. I want to do more cooking and baking out here. I think it might actually be possible.

Am I rambling yet? Probably. Man I love missionary work. Thanks for sending the scripture references. I'll try to keep up on my end.

Also, looks like the audio clips might be out. You should still be able to send songs I think, but the recordings might not work. Mission President said it might be distracting from the work, and I can see that. I'll double check next time we do interviews, but I'm guessing it's out.

Love you guys. I highly doubt I covered everything, but I think my time's about up.


~Elder Robarts



No comments:

Post a Comment