Saturday, January 5, 2013

snail mail 2012.12.17

Dear Home,

Man this week has been Christmas.  There was a day or two when I had a rough patch, but we've been seeing miracles left and right here.  Our first baptism is coming up, and it came clear out of nowhere.  She's a former investigator who wanted to be baptized before, but her parents were against it.  But she's been in Florida studying, and she's turning 18 soon.  So, she's had all the lessons, and she's coming back for a while.  About as golden as it gets.  Funny though.  First (convert) baptism I'll see here will be an American. Who would have guessed.

Anyway we had a split for a couple days where it was just us greenies, and man Elder Barney is good. He's got the attitude of a missionary.  He'll be legend.  While doing that, we saw some incredible things.  Met with a sister who isn't a member, but who's son is on a mission.  By some miracle, we were able to communicate a little and introduce ourselves.  She was super nice, too.

Then we were looking for another place, and it was impossible.  Korean addresses are crazy.  No streets, the numbers aren't in order.  Crazy.  Just clumps with a number and sub-numbers inside it.  If the buildings have changed alot, the addresses get pretty crazy.

So, we're looking, and our camera with a picure of a map dies.   crud.  So, we say a little prayer, and start looking again.  Then we both feel like going down a side alley.  First number we see (and it's like "I Spy" finding these sometimes) is our place.  No luck (the guy moved), but still pretty powerful.  I figure we're mostly just learning and building faith this phase of our missions.  We won't be super effective until we get better at the language.

So many little things like that, and then the baptisms coming up.  There's the one I mentioned, and then another set of missionaries in our disrict has one soon.  They're out there, we just need to find them.

Then there's the Christmas party.  I probably could write a letter just on that, but I never have time to figure out my thoughts.  It was awesome.  My MTC companion is doing great. Turns out we really were companions.  We brogut the same gift to the white elephant.  = D  Speaking of which, you'll probably get a picture of what I got. (See 2012.12.31 email and pictures)  Pretty awesome. Mayebe not mission standard, but awesome.  Bright pink vest.  Shiny.  Wore it most of the day.  Then we watched "Madagascar 3," just a little taste of what two years from now iwll be like.  I now understand why Andrew reacted thw way it did to movies.  It was wierd.....

Anyway, we're doing alright over here.  Christmas is just around the corner and we hardly think about the day.  I guess everyday on a mission is Christmas really.  Looking forward to the call next week.  There's so much I should tell you guys about. 

I've got seven days of crazy adventure on my mind and I can't get it out clearly.  There's so little time....I need to get back to my MTC habit.  Little sticky note I'd write on at the end of the day.  Stuff to write about.  This week then.  This one is a lost cause, but I shared the tip of the iceberg for the spiritual stuff.  So I may wrap up.  Lousy letter, no?  (no)

And it was such a good week, too.  It's mostly in the journal.  Not much time for that either.  But at least it's on a page somewhere.

I love you guys.  I hope these are still nice for you guys to read, even if they're not much.  I've got to write my mom though, so sorry everyone.  Priorities. (Plus she'll probably share the good parts anyway.)

Elder Robarts


Dear Mom,

I've been studying the attributes of Christ a lot lately.  And I'm realizing that they're not what we always think.  We can see them as soon as we turn our lives over to Him any small way we can.  And you see them more and more in others.  Elder Barney, powerhouse of faith if ever there was one.  We're both greenies, but I don't know what I would do without him.  My trainer, too.  A little crazy, but he's a good egg, and he wants me to become the best missionary I can.

 If you ever worry about yourself not being good enough, keepa journal.  I started last year, and it's the best decision I ever made.  Then read parts of it.  See what God is up to, and even what Satan is up to.  We're mortal, we don't always have eyes suited for eternity.  But when we've got a journal, we can catch a glimpse of how it works.

Weakness doesnt make us bad.  It just challenges us to do better.  The only time we fail is when we don't try.  



No comments:

Post a Comment