Monday, January 7, 2013

email 2013.01.06 (well the 7th there)

Dear Home,

Man I love you guys. It's a new year, and all sorts of crazy stuff keeps happening. I'm learning a lot about the nature of missionary work, and life in general. Mostly, you can't expect things to be perfect all the time. You kind of have to let things happen.

Last week was senior week, so I got to practice raising my blood pressure a little. I've got a lot to learn. With missionary work, with the language. But I'll get there.

P-days are kind of a toss up everyweek. They depend a lot on your companion, other missionaries, weather, all sorts of variables. And a lot of times, you can't go into them with expectations or you'll probably be disappointed. Still, like I was saying earlier. Let them be what they'll be, and make the most of them. They're a gift after all. All of this is.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and send this now. The audio clips are almost done and I want to make sure they get there. You can listen to them, right? I haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure how often I'll make them, but I might try to do them more. Just a sec.

(note from Mom  - somebody let me know if the audio works, please)

R_MIC_ 01 INTRO.mp3R_MIC_ 01 INTRO.mp3
1039K   Play   Download  
R_MIC_ 03 FOOD.mp3R_MIC_ 03 FOOD.mp3
1990K   Play   Download  
R_MIC_ 04 GAME.mp3R_MIC_ 04 GAME.mp3
1328K   Play   Download  
R_MIC_ 05 PACKAGE.mp3R_MIC_ 05 PACKAGE.mp3
981K   Play   Download   

Another thing. Sorry I haven't been able to get any letters in the mail lately. We haven't gone to the post office in a couple weeks, and I've got three of them waiting to go now.

I'm curious what will happen next transfer. Less study time, more missionary work. More than likely new companion. (He's been here four transfers now, he's pretty sure that he's going.) It's been a growing three months. I've still got a ways before the language feels comfortable, but I'm understanding more almost every day.

It's impossible to describe life here. It's a lot of stress, but there are times where there's so much peace, even in the chaos. I wrote this in the letter, but it'll be a while before you get it. But I want to change a lot this year.

I want to be more positive, not worry so much. I want to work hard and learn Korean, the language and the culture. But one thing that surprised me: I want to learn piano. It struck me hard last week, and I don't know why. Nothing fancy, just the basics. Music is so peaceful, relaxing. I had the chance to practice some last week while waiting for an appointment, and it felt good. And sightreading wasn't as hard as I remembered. I doubt I'll have time very often, but it's at the back of my head now.

So many little things. Oh, and we got locked out of our apartment last week. New years eve actually. We were in a rush going out, accidentally switched the door into some mode that doesn't let you put in the code from the outside. Anyway, we ended up waiting an hour for someone to come, them another half hour for them to fix the door. Got to bed a little late, but it all ended up mostly okay. I seem to have bad luck with new years...

That might be it for now. I hope the recordings work. If they don't, just let me know. I'll work on it. Anyway, I might have to go, I'll see if I can write more in a bit.

Love you,
~Elder Robarts

No comments:

Post a Comment