Friday, July 5, 2013

snail mail received 2013.07.03

[dated] (really old)

Dear Home,

I love you guys.  I'm 6 thousand miles away, but I'm super excited.  It felt a little weird calling home.  I didn't really expect it this time, came out of nowhere.  But it was amazing to hear your voices again.

I've said it a thousand times, it's crazy around here.  I'm in a 4 man house now, and not one of us has been out longer than a year.  These are exciting times to be serving.

Really busy, but in good ways.  One thing I wanted to share is about a member here.  He's in a military hospital, and he's started sharing the Gospel with new people that come in.  He asked us to help, so we've gone there a couple times a week.  Already we've found two people who said they wanted to find missionaries and the church after  they go home. It's such a new way to do missionary work.  I've never had a chance to try it before, but this member is incredible.  I love his desire to serve and share.

Also, we got 김치 (kimchi) recently, and I feel alive again.  I've been so exhausted lately trying to keep up with things. Before there wasn't any 김치 in the house.  The sister's 김치 had gone bad.  (how? I'll never know.  I've never had 김치 in the house that long.)  But I've missed that stuff.  Without it, there's not much energy.  But our Bishop gave us some last night, and it's amazing!

I love my comp, this area, this work.  We visited our Bishop's house last night, played with is kids, sang a children's song with them and shared a message about the 2000 Stripling Warriors.  They're such a great family.  I've often felt that if I did nothing else, it would be worth coming to Korea just to meet them.  Everything else at the same time?  I love Korea.

A lot of things I used to stress over I've gotten more used to.  I'm a stressful person, but that stress rarely seems to help. The thing I've learned a lot out here is that the Lord isn’t just sitting back, He's  engaged in this work.  He helps us so much, it's hard to describe.  But those things I worry over' they don't really matter that much. It's all in the eternal perspective.

A lesson I'm still learning, but I've learned to tame my habit of worrying over things.  Just do it enough that you can problem solve and plan well.  Wit that, things will work out. Too often I look for problems that aren't there.  I almost seem to relish these problems, that stress.  But little by little, you can really see the blessings of faith. One thing, if you stress too much, it makes it harder for God to help out. You kind of get in your own way.

But you see miracles in your life if you take the time to look.  People you never expected to meet.  A phrase that comes to mind, a scripture, that changes someone's life. Even something as simple as a guy giving you a drink on a hot summer day.  I love those everyday things that make life easier.

Right now, I feel like the biggest challenge is simply being patient, keeping the Lord's time.  And methods.  A life-long lesson, but one with many rewards.

If I said the reason for not writing more was being busy with missionary work, would anyone believe it?  Things have been interesting here, but it's the P-Day time being busy that's the problem.  But we've been doing lots of culture stuff.  Good for pictures, and people like those, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment