Monday, August 26, 2013

2013.08.26 snail mail

Dear Home,

Life never really has a normal turn here. Good example: I just got a text from the other Elders asking to bye boxing tape (presumably to fix our fan, which broke today while we were cleaning it...). If we can't fix it, we're down to one fan in a four man house. (DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT SENDING ONE. You guys are great, but seriously. These things cost a fortune to send. The BoM thing was probably one of the most touching things I've seen on my mission, but don't worry about it. With the massive time delay, just trust we'll have gotten it taken care of on our end.) Anyway, the good news is summer is almost over. The WORST part anyway. Traditionally, there's about a month and a half of steadily increasing heat, coupled with indescribably humidity. Then it starts to cool down, then the Typhoons come. We're shifting into that time now. ^^ But yeah, we might have to ask the office if we can look for some fans...

I'm doing well though. Things are moving forward little by little. The main thing recently is that we're working more now with members than non members it feels like. Helping encourage FHE, trying to get the Home Teaching program stronger, trying to help strengthen the ward from within, and helping members feel the spirit of this work through working with us. We met with a really awesome family that said they wanted to start FHE in their family, but they're not quite sure what they're supposed to do in it. When we offered to help them have one, they said that we were the first missionaries to say they wanted to help. Now, I'm not the best at FHE ideas myself, so I'm hoping you guys have some ideas. Luckily we told them while we were talking that it was more about spending time together in a spiritual environment really more than /what/ you do. 

I love this place. This is new for me, but I've felt so many good memories come back as I've thought back to our own FHEs back home. Someone once said that you remember the feeling that you have there more than the lessons that were taught. That's definitely true. But there are so many ways the Lord prepares us. To face the world, to share the Gospel, to raise a family. FHE is one of the best tools He's given us, simply because it helps us grow TOGETHER.

I love my family. Our FHEs may have been simple, we may have missed at times, but I have strong memories of them.

Keep praying for the members here, as well as those we're trying to teach. At the moment we're focusing so much on members it's been hard to find time to look for new investigators. But they're out there. I know it. And we'll help them find what they're looking for, even if they don't recognize yet that it's missing.

Ryan's heading for the MTC already? Tell him congrats for me, and Jacob too! That's a great accomplishment. ^^

I love you guys so much. Thanks for your heartfelt letters, prayers, news. I treasure them more than you know. I really wish I could write all the personal replies I want to, but these bulk letters will have to work until I get time or make time. ^^
~Elder Robarts

Alright, I've had enough fun. I've still gotta write President. Until next week!

Just kidding. I had a few things to ask/say.

First, Hi Sister Patterson! Thank you so much for your note, it made my day! I've gotten some of your family's letters too, thank you so much! I love this work. It teaches so much. Thanks for the example you show me, I don't think I've ever seen you without a smile on your face. It means a lot to me.^^ Every day is a special opportunity to share God's love with someone.

(Quick requests:
Can you try to email some baking recipes? I want to try experimenting again for making things for members.

Also, any ideas on FHE? Maybe a fb post would pull some good ideas. Thanks!)

Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment