Saturday, August 18, 2012

2012.08.12 (snail mail paper letter)

Dear Home, [KOREAN]!

For the past couple of days I've been feeling bad for not being able to write more, but then I remembered I've only been here for four full days.  I'm still going to try, but there's not really much time here.

Good news, whatever we're doing, it's working.  Day 1, Holy cow our teacher isn't speaking English.  Day 2. we're teaching a lesson in Korean???  Day 3, That lesson was terrible. -- Praying was nice though.  Day 4, [all in KOREAN]!!!  Day 5, Thank goodness it's Sunday...

Seriously though, it's been good here.  We're already praying in Korean, and I've gotten comfortable with doing it without the cheat sheet  (I've been praying alot here.) We're bearing our testimonies too.  But I'll say this.  You appreciate prayer so much more when you have to think this much about whatever you say.

And when you pray for the gift of tongues in the language you are learning, it comes.  And mostly, it comes through love of the language and the people.  once you have that, things click.

My tongue even moves differently now.  I can feel Korean being different.  Pretty cool.  Wicked hard though, even with the spirit.

So my district- Elder Forbes, my companinon; Elder Quist, our new district leader and one of my apartment buddies; Elder Gerszeski, another missionary from our apartment - talks really fast in Korean; Elder Campbell, Elder Sills, Elder Elenbads, anoterh set from the room next to us; and Sster Bell, Sister Hunt, and Sister McKay.  10 in our district, plus two others. 30 new Korean missionaries when I came in, plus the 30 that were already here.  Definitely not alone here.

As for life, it's hectic, but amazing.  As I mentioned, the third day out here (Friday) we got to teach our first investigator.  ---in Korean.

Not going to lie, it wasn't very good.  But the prayer went well. (Iwas pretty excited about praying.  I've carried around that card until it's almost falling apart - slight exageration.)

The second lesson was incredible though.  We remembered practically everything.  And it's cool to see how things went.  He accepted a BoM (Book of Mormon) and committed to read it.  MTC, yeah, but I was still happy.  I mean, Korean.

08/13/12
Anyway, it's late, I don't have much time to write.

Some important notes, we walked to the temple Sunday, that was great, and I went to choir practice here, and it was really cool.

(There's a small chance I'll sing in General Conference.  = D )

Today, more Korean, we did a service assignment, taught our investigator again, and it looks like  I'll have to continue this later.

08/14/12

So,  yesterday was pretty hectic -- that's kind of normal here.

But we only had a little time to work on our lesson.  So we had to improv most of it.   Luckily, we remembered a few critical vocab words, so we were able to get the point across with some broken Korean.

I;m so looking forward to the temple today.  I've missed it so much...

I hope everything is going well there.  It's incredible to think that I last saw you all a week ago. 

The Lord knows all time.  And I'm out of mine.  Laundry is done.

[KOREAN again]!

~Elder Robarts



No comments:

Post a Comment