Tuesday, August 28, 2012

2012.08.21

The missing email.  He tried to send it, but my long email address tripped him up.

Dear Home,

The MTC is incredible! I had no idea how much time would start to blur here. It doesn't feel like it's been a week since our last P-Day... It's been full though.
We got to go to the Temple last week and do sealings, -first time for all of the Elders in my district, so it was cool to be there for that experience for them. Personally, Sealings have always been my favorite. :) Anyway, looking forward to it again today.
 
As I mentioned, I joined choir here, and that's been great. Definitely one of the best stress relievers we have here. --Did you know we can't play music at the MTC? Rough... Definitely makes me appreciate hymns more. I might be singing at home more when I get back. We can pull up conference recordings while studying, but nothing we brought with us, and we can play anything in our rooms. It's good though. The spirit is still there.
 
Anyway, tangents. Our investigator last week was interesting. We finished teaching him Thursday I think. Definitely hard, but it's getting easier, and we're understanding more. We started a new one this week, and we're getting a second tomorrow. Teaching two at once, in Korean? Multiple lesson plans... Crazy. Good thing I've got the testimony bit down. Now we just need to learn how to teach and effectively communicate... Might be a little more tricky. Our teacher gave us a translation list of "How to begin teaching" in PMG. But in more basic terms so we can learn them faster. That'll be fun to work on. It came out to about 2 pages of English/Korean.
 
Anyway, no one wants to hear about the language. The spirit of this place it far more important. And it's legit. Not going to lie, I'm bone tired. From 6:30 to 10:30, there's no stopping, and your mind is under constant pressure of learning a new language. I've started having dreams in Korean, a little creepy. But even with the strain, the spirit doesn't go away. I'm pretty sure it's the only reason we're still functioning. And to me, that's pretty awesome.
 
No general authorities yet, but we get to watch talks sometimes, and we've seen a few really good ones by David A Bednar. "Characters of Christ," and "Recognizing the Spirit." Awesome talks. He gave them during devotionals here, so they might not have them online, but they're good.
 
I'm not sure what else there is to say. There's too much to cover everything, and I don't know which to choose. Some native Missionaries from Korean came in yesterday. I haven't had a chance to meet most of them, but it's going to be pretty awesome around here. SYL, everyday. They're not in our district, but they're in our zone, and they live on the same floor. Odds are we'll run into them a lot.
 
On a light note, my weight has changed a lot here. First week, I gained five pounds or something like that, but after eating a little better, I dropped it this week. Feels pretty good now. The lines for the salads and wraps are pretty long, but I've got a good system. Eat the salad while waiting in line, don't waste time. And of course, there's always studying. I've got a small notebook that I use to practice vocab here. Works great. But seriously, I've gotten pretty healthy here. =D
 
I hope no one is expecting anything super spiritual or amazing from these letters. I try to get that in my handwritten ones, since I have more time. Why rush the spirit, right? This is the light hearted stuff that I don't really have time for here. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of jokes around here. "Everyday?", Two handed fist pounding, stalkers, random stuff... Won't go into it.
 
I've only got about a few minutes left, so for now I'll go over logistics. Thanks for the letters, by the way! Love them, makes me happy. But for everyone but my Omoni (I think that's mom, no time for the Korean keyboard...), this is goodbye. Going strong, love you all, take care, keep the adversary on the run, I'll catch you later.
 
Elder Robarts

No comments:

Post a Comment