Monday, August 13, 2012

First Letter Home!!!

He didn't date it, but it was obviously written his first night there.  The letter arrived Monday, August 13, 2012

Dear Home,

I can't believe how fast time goes here.  From 2pm to 10:30pm, everything is a vivid blur.

It started like like lightening though.  I get here and they take me to our first class. Not one word of English.  No one told me that would happen. But it was awesome. =D

I'll be honest, it was a bit stressful at first, especially trying to figure out what our teacher, Elder Peterson, was saying.  But we're learning fast.   After language study and introduction, we went to a Sacrament Meeting kind of thing.  or fireside?  I'll learn what it's called later.  Maybe zone conference.

After that we had dinner, unpacked, and went to "teaching experience."  That was pretty amazing.  The second investigator they introduced us to was the one that struck me the most.

So, they had it set up like a massive teaching lesson, and we'd all add comments and try to answer questions, that kind of thing.

But the second sister, who shall remain nameless, triggered something in me.

I don't know how to explain it.  She talked about how so many people she cared about left before their time, and it was hard to believe that God loves her.  She hated feeling alone.

And it just hit me.  I had to get up.  The words didn't even feel like mine, until I started to bear my testimony.   I told her that it was because God loved her that she knew these people.  And while it's always hard, she's not alone.  God will never leave.  And there are still many people who love her.

I bore testimony of the family of our wards, and told he why we were all there.  I only knew this sister for a little while, but I quickly came to love her.

The spirit was strong, I'll just say that.  There were maybe sixty of us there, and at the end of my testimony, the sister was crying, I was crying, and about a third of the rest were, too.

And this was just to help prepare us. It was real though. I never thought I'd feel something like that Day 1 of the MTC.  I know what it feels like to be a representative of Jesus Christ now.  To have everything you say carry power,and know that it isn't you.

MTC, let's do it.

After that, we got some orientation, settled in, forgot most of what they told us.  But it was good. My companion rocks though.  Elder Forbes, a great people person, very receptive to the people and the spirit, and he really wants to follow the mission rules.  Score!

Speaking of which, I should go to bed.  I miss you all.  I can't wait to hear from all of you.  I get to email Tuesday, that's our P-day, but hopefully this'll be there by then.

Just know, I'm alive, I'm stoked, and the spirit hasn't stopped surging since I got here.

One of the best parts, just to sum things up. 

Singing "Army of Helaman" with the words "we are the Lord's missionaries" ptu to every verse.  Nothing is cooler.

Anyway, I wish I could write more, to all of you, but mission rules.  I'll get this in the mail tomorrow. 

Love you all!
~ Elder Robarts


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your first day experience. Keep up the great work. I believe you are going to be a very strong missionary. Your cousin, Sister (Alice) Ludwig

    ReplyDelete