Tuesday, November 6, 2012

2012.10.29 postmark date

Dear Home,
I haven't sent an email home yet, so I have no idea how much I'll have time to write, but this place is insane!  It's nothing like I was expecting, but it's awesome!

I don't even know where to begin.  So far I've learned a lot from my trainer, 
 He's getting a little trunky and jokes around a lot, and he's great with the members and (something in Korean) (street contacting).  His English is pretty good, but it still takes a second to understand anything.  Mostly it's pronunciation.  The first day or two though he mostly only spoke Korean anyway.  That's been useful, especially here.

(something in Korean), my first area.  And in our area is a US military base. What does that mean?  Far less culture shock then I was expecting.  We'll put it this way.  We get here, and an hour latter we're at a dinner appointment speaking English.  ... Not what I was expecting.  Fun though. I'm definitely glad I have a Korean trainer, otherwise this would be rough.

But don't worry, we're using Korean, too.  That evening we taught a new investigator about the Restoration.  We're teaching him again tonight, and if all goes well I'll be sharing the First Vision for the first time in a real lesson.  Exciting stuff.

But seriously, this place almost doesn't count as Korean.  We've had a lot of American food with our kimchi.  This week we had 2 Halloween activities.  Turns out it's not completely unheard of, but I doubt other areas are like this.

The members:
So awesome!  When they find out you're new, they all are excited to talk to you and encourage you with the language.  Judging by the progress records, there's one young man who is a particularly good fellowshipper who teaches with us. I think he's going on a mission in December.

I love this place.  It's indescribable, but I'll try.

One thing, the technology here is insane.  There are seriously no regular doors...  So many scanning pads, it's crazy.  I have one key.  Everything else is electronic.  The toilets are insane, too.  I've only seen one, but you know those (something in Korean) toilets with the sprayers?  Yeah.  Used one.  weirdest thing ever.

--oh! Mom!  The drains in the floors of bathrooms that you wish existed --have them here.  Practical upshot --one of our bathrooms doesn't have a shower, just a mounted shower-head.  That bathroom isn't much bigger than the one downstairs, but it's a full bath pretty much.   I say one of the bathrooms -- we have two.  This place is a mansion.

And yes, we sleep on the floor. Pretty comfy really.  It'll be rough on beds when I get home.  But we've got two bathrooms, two studies, storage room, a full kich and a living room were we sleep.  split between 4 Elders.  We've got to be the most spoiled missionaries in our mission.

All this technology... the sink has a kick switch on the floor to turn the water on and off.  All of public transit uses the same change card.  So many scanners...

And yet... No dryers.  Anywhere.  Never quite got that, but I guess it's (unreadable)  There you go.  I've got to get pictures of this place.

And the food -- I've actually had some authentic stuff. Pretty good.  Cooked for the first time in three months.  One nice thing about food here.  Too bland, add kimchi, problem solved.

I've missed cooking though.  A little different here, but I made some stir fry.  fun stuff.

Back to the people:
I met a lot of people during the Halloween events, helped with a mummy race (does it even need explaining? think dizzy)

The talk Sunday wasn't bad, either.  A couple people came up to me afterward and complimented my Korean.  Naturally I started making mistakes as soon as I started talking.  They're all super nice, though.  The military branch, too.  we gave a blessing to our mission leader for a foot surgery he's going to have.  First time I've heard the anointing done in Korean.  Definitely not the last though.

Crazy language.  It's amazing what the field will do.  Speaking it this much has done wonders for my speaking speed.  Still a long way to go.  And I've got to kill my "um" habit.  It confuses people here.  They use (something in Korean), you'll know what I mean in two years probably.

Thank goodness though.  I was so happy my area is north.  South they have more (something in Korean).  It's something between accent and dialect.  Hard to understand.

But no, I'm in the middle of the city, although not nearly as big as some others.
I'm concerned for my MTC companion though.  He was having some culture shocks in Daejeon.  bath houses.  chopsticks (metal, not wood.  A little harder)
Yeah, He got sent south.  Country side, only American in district, Major Satori (Mom - guessing on those last two)  I hope he's okay.  He's good though.  I'm not worried.

Definitely not as easy as (something in Korean) though.  come six weeks, I'll have a pretty big awakening.  Street contacting is pretty good here.  Everyone says they're busy (no dictionary need for that one),. but we're able to talk to some people.  Everyone has a phone here, and it's not too hard to get a number to call later.  The trainer does most of the work though.  I lose what they are saying about 3 sentences in. 

Don't worry about me though. I 'm doing well.  I'm forgetting a lot of what I wanted to write, but you get the idea.

Man, I love you guys.  Every few weeks it feels like we have to say goodbye to people we’ve come to care about.  Like my District.  Those guys were as close to family as anything out here.  Sister Hunt is in my zone, so I saw her at the Stake activity Saturday  (I think it was Stake), but none of the others.  A couple from (something in Korean) (closest is station, or probably generation) are here.  Elder Burney is actually in my apartment too.  So, that’s awesome.

The Lord knows what He’s doing.  He knows the shock this is, so He starts little by little, each time putting you in a slightly different environment until you’re ready.  It’s rough saying goodbye, though. (something in Korean) Always.

Better wrap up.  Gotta find stamps, maybe look for speakers (I’ve missed music so much…) Who knows what else I’ll have to get done today.  P-days are always short.

Love you guys The future is pretty crazy. Even 16 hours.
Until next time,
Elder Robarts (in Korean)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment