Wednesday, November 21, 2012

2012.11.13 posted snail mail

(Note from Mom – I had a spot of trouble typing this. A couple of spots, really. When I copied and pasted the scriptures he referenced, I apparently picked up coding that I spent way too much time trying to clean up without success.
Also, as it is getting late, I am neither trying to scan, copy & paste nor go to an on-line keyboard and try to replicate his Korean. I am just going to say (Something in Korean) which I may or may not later replace with Korean.
Sorry folks)



Dear Home,
So much to write, so little time. And one of the ways I know I'm doing my job right.  About a day after I write home, I have no idea what I wrote.  It was heartfelt, don't get me wrong, but I just don't remember much.  So if I forget something and repeat it a couple times. sorry about that.
Anyway, this week was packed. One of the big things: Mission tour with Elder Ringwood, our area General Authority.  Pretty cool stuff, great speaker.  I went in with a couple questions, and everything was answered before we to to Q&A.  Good stuff.  He shared an awesome scripture, too.  D&C 109: 22-23.
Combination temples + missionary work = awesome.  Love temples --- Read it, it's incredible.
 22 And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy name may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine angels have charge over them;
 23 And from this place they may bear exceedingly great and glorious tidings, in truth, unto the ends of the earth, that they may know that this is thy work, and that thou hast put forth thy hand, to fulfil that which thou hast spoken by the mouths of the prophets, concerning the last days.
On that note, I've decided to make a small notebook with missonary scripture references. Probably will share in the letters every now and then.

Another good one:  D&C 84:88 And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.

D&C 84:85 Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.
Note "continually”, it’s a part of life.

Also, perks of foreign mission: Scripture study. No luck on Brother of Jared. Doesn’t specify. But I did find something on Moroni 7:47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him. Every time I’ve heard it taught, they ask the question: Christ’s love, love for Christ, or Christ-like love. I like all of them, but in Korean, it is (something in Korean) Christ’s pure love.
Got find more things, but I thought you guys might like it.
Another fun thing: Dinner with a military strategist. Great food, great conversation, and finally: Catan (Settler’s of Catan board game). Back home, I never played it much, but he loves it, and uses it to develop strategy and keep his mind active. So we played a simple game with them, learned that apparently there are a lot of expansions for it to make it more complex. Crazy.
But it’s interesting meeting with a strategist. I’ve always loved strategy games, but he taught me something interesting. When playing a strategy game, someone whose life is strategy doesn’t always wipe the floor with you. They can, but that doesn’t help. They’re always trying something new. Making new strategies. Anyway, I got a kick out of it. Good member, too. A year afer joining the church he’s serving as a missionary in Russia. Had some good stories.
Missions aren’t all dinners with members and mission tours, though. We’ve had a crazy week. One of our investigators dropped us out of the blue. He talked with another pastor and decided not to come to church or meet with us anymore. (Something in Korean which I think means his trainer/companion) says that happens a lot.
(something in Korean which I think means Jeong or something like that which seems to mean something about relationships) is everything here. The ever-present, impossible to describe influence. It’s the relationships, the bonds that are formed with people. It’s powerful, and I don’t really know or fully understand it yet. But my trainer said that even after people feel the Spirit, (something in Korean which I think means Jeong) can make them reject it. Hard to believe that anything can be like that. Trump the Spirit? Maybe for some, but it can’t be for many.
They have a different way of thinking. I’ve noticed it as I’ve learned Korean, but I never realized how deep it was. They’re highly logical, intelligent people, but this one thing, this (something in Korean which I think means Jeong) they have with others, influences them more than anything. Build a relationship with them, and they’ll trust you. Fail to do that, you’ve got nothing. Similar to English, but more extreme, I think. Not entirely sure yet. Lot’s more to learn.
But I’ve seen some miracle here. We met a man who wants to introduce us to his family and talk about what we do, just barely at the end of the day. Our very last (something in Korean – contact?) of the night.
Then English advertising. Usually places don’t let us leave fliers on their ad boards, but not one, but two huge apartments let us leave some. It took close to half an hour just to put them up at one of the places. Some 26 fliers. Pretty incredible. Within a couple days, four or so people called and said they were interested. Usually how English works is we teach 30 min English, 30 min Gospel. It’s also our weekly service, so we teach it as a group every Wednesday (Wednesday in Korean). I never thought it would be, but it’s actually one of the hardest things here. I stink at speaking simply. That powerful, concise way of speaking has always eluded me. Guess it’s time to learn. Because long-winded doesn’t work here. English class is fun, though. It’s a lot more culture than I thought it was at first. Usually that’s most of what we do. And when we have a good class, it’s a lot of fun. Next topic is cooking. Reading English recipes and making some pudding as a class. Should be fun. = D
Another mind-blowing thing: Healing injuries. Last week during P-day our zone played soccer (I think I mentioned it) Fun fact about Korea – small pebbles in the soccer field grass. Great for traction, bad for feet. Some got in my shoes and tore my feet up. Blisters on both feet, not fun, but even with me walking on them all day, they healed up almost entirely in a couple days. Not natural, but consideing whose work we are doing, I’m not surpised. Amazed, but not surprised.
Just another small thing that confirms to me that this is legit. I’m pretty weak. Every time I speak Korean I’m reminded of that, but I’m receiving a lot of help. And with Him, nothing is impossible.
Now, for the fun stuff: These guys are incredible. Crazy smart. There are these two girls we’re teaching now, twins, high school age. The only way to tell them apart is one has her bangs curve to the right, the other to the left. And I’m convinced they know how to count cards. We usually play a quick game before lessons and talk, and whenever they deal, things are a little funny.
Side note: (Something in Korean- Pyeongtaek?) is a unique area. Normally we don’t teach girls, sisters do. No sisters in our district though. We also don’t usually speak much English, but here half our dinner appointments are English (which makes me step up a little more, with (Something in Korean which I think means his trainer/companion) being Korean. His English is great, but he’s not always super comfortable. So I usually have to do a lot of the talking and watching the clock to get us out in time for appointments). So much here is different and our apartment is a mansion.
No other area is like this. Apparently when Ringwood (something in Korean) was serving here, they had a contract on an apartment building that was going to be torn down and reconstructed. They had the option of moving or keeping the contract in the new building.
So now we have the same contract, but with a ton nicer building. I’m serious. We’re spoiled here. American food, great apartment, best ward in the world (I already love the members, and I can barely talk with them for very long before I can’t understand what is being said) Why do I get to have this for my greenie area? And how I’m still able to learn Korean okay, even with all this English exposure? Lots of blessings to be grateful for, that’s for sure.
Also, there’s a military base here. One thing I didn’t realize. They’ve got a post office. Military post office. I can send something home as if I was in the states. -grin- So, it’s actually a possibility I can send some stuff home. I’ve got to find some fun things, maybe Korean snacks.
Other than that, I’m almost out of the topics I’ve been making notes to talk about.
Last one, I got a haircut today, went on splits with Elder Barney, our first time out of the apartment on our own. We almost had to make the trip to Daejeon solo for mission (tour?) conference, but that’s another story. Our trainers left us without a phone, and the Elders we were going to travel with instead were a little late, so we had a short while where we thought we’d have to navigate the complex Korean train network with our limited Korean. Would’ve been fun, but it all worked out. I might tell the story later.
Today was good though. Turns out small talk in Koran isn’t as hard as it used to be. Still hard though. Fun times in Korea. Staying busy, working hard, always looking for people to teach. Life is good.
Keep me informed. How’s life back home? Share everything.
Love you all. Until next time,
(Elder Robarts in Korean)




No comments:

Post a Comment