Wednesday, November 21, 2012

2012.11.08 posted snail mail

Dear Home,

Why is it there is never any time?  It's rough, but a part of life.

Anyway, some fun things about Korea.  Extremely space efficient here.  Massive apartments (buildings) are pretty much the only residential I've seen here.  Bad news:  we can't proselyte in them.  We would get kicked out.  So tracting pretty much doesn't exist here, at least in this area.  Just a whole lot of street contacting.  Getting phone numbers seems to be the best way.  Then we can call to meet again.  For someone with limited Korean, phones are scary.  Twice as hard to understand things...  But Korean is getting better.  There's a lot less delay between thinking something and being able to say it now. My head is starting to be able to think in Korean structure. Amazing how much that changes a person's perspective of life.

So far, I've seen a lot of things about Korea that I'll miss.  One is the members.  They're really involved in missionary work, and super friendly.  I want to try to be more like them when I get back.  Are there any Korean Elders in our area?  It'd be a good way to keep up the language in two years.

There are some things about Korea that I'll have to learn how to teach about though.  Word of Wisdom is big here.  Less tea-- surprised by that -- more smoking.  Tons of it.  And modesty is a bit different here, too.  Fun things to teach.

On the bright side, people here aren't super mean.  Most of them will let you introduce yourself a little, so we have a couple people we're teaching.  In general, though, people don't like missionaries.  Apparently a lot of churches teach, and some have a bad rep. 

I love it here. It's hard most of the time, my head is pretty used to the strain now, the hardest part is just how to begin teaching.  Understanding what they say, and their background.  Listening to Korean is far more difficult than speaking.


Anyway, I'm trying to remember what I was going to write about.  One thing, I'm spoiled here.  I went on an exchange last week overnight and other areas definitely live differently. They did have a secret attic, though.  I'll miss not having four missionaries in the apartment, too.  I think that helps a lot.

Pretty spoiled with you guys, too. I've gotten two packages since I've come here.  I know that won't be happening very often,  and I'm glad about that, but I'm grateful for  how great you guys are. You mean a lot to me.

I may not be able to write much, but I think about you guys as often as it doesn't take me away from the work.

Today was pretty nice, albeit bittersweet.  We got together as a zone and played some soccer.  Pretty awesome, and I got to see some of our MTC group. But now there's practically no time.

Korea is beautiful.  There's city everywhere I've seen, but it still hasn't lost all of its nature.  No idea how that sounds, hope it makes sense.  Anyway, this is a good stopping point.

No comments:

Post a Comment