Friday, March 29, 2013

2013.03.04 snail mail week 18

(disclaimer - every now and then Elder Robarts writes something in Korean.  I found a virtual Korean keyboard and will TRY to copy it.  If you know Korean, you will certainly find errors! - Mom)

Dear Home,

This is weird.  I went to Costco. And it was a ton like ours.  Only two stories.  Everything is  like that here.  Turns out I don't have a lot of the same urges as other missionaries.  They all buy cereal, pancake mix, salsa, that kind of thing.  But I realized I don't need those.  I don't eat cereal except as a snack food, I can make homemade pancakes cheaper that taste better, and 김지 trumps salsa almost every turn here.

I did find a few good things, though. Great price on strawberry jam (by Korean standards).  I've been missing strawberries.  I got some chocolate, too.  Hot cocoa makes the end of the day sweeter.  Also, you can get taco seasoning here.  Great in Korean food, esp 볶음 밥(fried rice).  Mexican/Korean mix: super good. People also buy peanut butter, but we've got an E Mart traders here and it's cheaper there.  Yep. I like food. But PB is an indulgence.  Choco and strawberry, too.  Gotta make them stretch.

So, people back home: Enjoy your cheese, milk, and other fatty American goods. If you can find them here, it isn't cheap.

Luckily we've got other stuff.  I'll miss rice everyday.  Eat it practically every meal.  I've taken to even eating it by itself as a snack.  Tastes so good.

You can tell I'm in Korea.  Page and a half and I've only talked about food.

This week is fun. I've started organizing 유싱's records more.  Lots of them.  We've got seven or so maps in our house.  Area is massive.  But I've forgotten.  Missionary houses must be so strange. Records, maps all over the place. We're not crazy people.  Just devoted.  And inKorea, without those maps/records, youre a goner.

'Bout all I have time for.

Kind of a random letter, written with love,
See you!
초 바츠 ㅈ/조
That one is fun.  =D

No comments:

Post a Comment