Friday, September 21, 2012

2012.09.18 snail mail arrived 09.21

(in Korean) Dear Family & Friends,

 Wow, It's been a fun week.  I actually feel healthy again.  So, in the past week, I've probably run more than I have in 3 months.  A mile before every gym time, sprinting a 1/4 mile at the end, then two hour-long games of soccer.  Much better than my body was feeling a few weeks/days ago.  But that's not all that happened this week.  I had a few of hte best lessons I've had, and some of the most humbling.

The rough ones:  Friday. all four of the guys in our room came down with a splitting headache.  No idea what it was, but was the third worst I've had.  (Accurate statement) Today's .. or Friday's illness symptoms  included dizziness, splitting pain right behind the ears, and some of the worst fatique we've had.  I'll be honest, my companion and I hardly made it through the lesson.  Bad day.  Not kidding when I say this, trying to read Korean physically hurt.

The other rough one was mostly our fault.  We started to teach other companionships and this first lesson was probably the worst  lesson I've ever taught.  It was quite a bit more difficult to get into character this time.   None of us were as serious as we should be.  At the beginning we were joking around more than we should have and the spirit was out the window. Never again.

I'm thankful for it, though.  It taught me what it's like to teach without the Spirit.  stinks.  Turns out I rely on Him a lot.  Just Korean alone was humbling.  I've been inlessons when words just came to me, but in that lesson, it was awful.  I'll be completely honest, things didn't get better until I apologized for how we were teaching in Korean and assured them that even though we weren't in the right frame of mind, I knew that this church is true.  Almost instantly the spirit was back, and way of saying what I needed to just came to me again.  I know that if it wasn't for the spirit, none of us could ever do what we do here.  It's not natural.

I enjoyed the lesson I learned from that, even though at the time it was hard.  But there are a few other things I wanted to talk about.

First off, I've seen a couple familiar faces here!  Yesterday I said bye to Elder Spence, and while we were talking, I saw Elder Bedford and (I don't actually know hwo to spell his last name...) Michael from Institute.  We got some pictures to send home.  = D  I have't seen Elder McGee again since the first week or so he was here, but I think he's leaving today.  I wish our schedules lined up more so I could see him before, but he'll be doing a lot of good now.  These guys are coming and going before I leave.

It's not to bad though.  The language is getting better.  By the way, Saturday I successfully finished memorizing the First Vision in Korean!  That made me so happy, I really want to teach the first lesson again now.  I love this Gospel.

As a side note, I've been sleeping on the floor lately.  Not sure wy, but it feels good, I'm preparing for Korea, and it brings back some good memories.  Anyway, out of time for now, I'll write again later.

P-Day!  Time to get this letter going and in the mail.  ASAP.

I wish I could be a better missionary sometimes.  There are so many little things I could do better. As it is, I 'm doing what I can, but it's all a matter of priorities here.  Even if you're giving it your all, if you're focused on the wrong things it won't matter.  I never realized how stretching this is.  Constantly we're studying either Korean, Gospel, or needs of investigators.  There hardly seems time for it all...

There's a lot of good Korean literature though.  We decided to get some at the bookstore to use in lessons.  True to the Faith is incredible.  For those topics we have no idea what to say in Korean (Tithing, Law of Chastity, ...you get the idea)  It helps alot.  We know how to briefly explain it and bear testimony, but when it coes to something like commandments, it helps to have some church-produced helps.

It's helping us grow, that's for sure.  My companion and I are getting better at tag teaming -- we taught a surprise lesson yesterday about the plan of salvation and we were able to do it without really planning ahead of time.  It's been good.


We had some awesome talks/lessons on Sunday. I wish I could write more about them, but they were legit. We have a new branch counselor who taught priesthood this week. That was incredible. New Zealand guy who served in Korea and was the Daejeon mission president for a few years. Most amazing voice ever. The blend of accents is mind-blowing.

Later we had a great district meeting lesson by Elder G on recognizing the spirit. His grandpa flew in the Berlin Airlift and he shared an experience where following the spirit saved his life.

Then we had a fireside about The Book of Mormon. At the start, he palayed a clip from the Book of Mormon musical. Then he talked Weabout the “I’m a Mormon” ads the Brethren were inspired to start. One quote he gave from Elder Holland talked about how in the scriptures when the followers of Christ faced opposition, he got them out of Babylon. Even the early Saints. “But that is not our lot today. We attack it.” When we think about The Book of Mormon and what it stands for, it only makes sense that it would be attacked. And it only makes sense that we would defend it. He said a lot more, but I’ll move on.

We watched an old talk on the Apostasy, which discussed eh witnesses/evidences of the Apostasy. Pretty awesome talk. I took notes. No time.

I foreget what I already talked about. Writing letters is an off/on process for me.

Things are really going well, though. I’m really starting to feel at home with Korean. I just wish I understood it. = D I think I’ll wrap up here.

Love you!

Elder Robarts

I really am starting to enjoy Korean. It’s like a puzzle. Vocab is my weak point, but I’ll find a way. I’m not weak enough that I can’t know how to follow the spirit now. I’ve felt prompted to tell investigators things, and I’ve seen them change a little because of it.

It’s crazy here. No way around it. Things are always happening.

Who knows what else I’m forgetting. I didn’t keep a notebook this week of thins totalke about – (long week) Maybe this time.

Who knows what I’ll write.

Love you!

Elder Robarts







No comments:

Post a Comment