Friday, October 12, 2012

2012.10.06 snail mail letter written Conference weekend

--> Dear Home,
     Times are changing.  I see it everyday.  All of you have no doubt heard this already, but this morning we all got a big surprise.  As of now, missionaries can serve as young as 18 for Elders and 19 for Sisters.  It's crazy thinking about how much that changes.
     For Elders going out now, they don't have that awkward year of waiting anymore.  They can go right away after high school.  For me, I loved having that year to prepare, but I know that a lot more missionaries will come out because of that, especially since Elders and Sisters will be closer to the same age.  It'll be interesting to see what happens next.
     But this has been in the works for a while now.  They've been working on building more buildings for the MTC, and they've been working on improving teaching resources to cut back the time we spend here.  They've been trying to up the capacity this place can handle.  No surprise, I guess, but it looks like the game is changing.  The world is moving, and we're getting into the last stretch.
     Exciting times to be serving in.  Crazy though.  I might be a trainer for an 18 year old.  That just seems so crazy.  This announcement got me thinking a lot though.  I've got a few friends waiting for that call, and a few others who are almost there. In addition to that, I got a letter recently asking what I thought about Sisters serving missions.  It also asked about going on a mission even if you're shy or quiet.  It got me thinking and I want to share a little of my testimony.
     I know that this isn't my work.  It's so much bigger than anything I could imagine, but by the tender mercies of Christ, I'm blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of it
     All  my life I have wanted this.  I've seen the Gospel's influence in my life, and I want to share that with anyone I can.  I know what the Lord can d with us when we devote our time to Him.
     Because of this, if anyone has the desire to serve, I don't think anything should hold you back.  As long as you're doing all you can, there'll be a way.  Just make sure you're doing it for the right reason.  If you're doing it out of love for God and His children, you won't go wrong.  But if you really want to know, you need to find out for yourself.  Read D&C section 4.  Especially verse 3.  If you feel your heart burn, you won't question whether or not you're meant to go.
      And if you do want to serve, but you're afraid either you're too shy, or don't know enough, or are scared of leaving the home you know, remember whose work this is.  Ether 12:27 He'll do  more to help you grow than you can possibly imagine.
     But going back to the original question, I agree with what the Brethren have said.  Sisters are by no means required to serve, nor should they feel like they are.  But I've seen the strength of sister missionaries.  They're incredible, and their testimonies are strong.  If you feel good about it, go for it.
     On that note, though, I wan to take this chance to extend a brief challenge.  To all young men who read this:  Don't pass this up.  It seems hard, but it's worth it a hundred times over.  To Ethan, Ryan, and Matt, especially, this new announcement means that your time is here.  You'll never regret serving a mission.  You know I love you guys, along with all the guys back home.  Get excited for this. It's incredible.  You're touching people's lives and changing the course of Eternity.  I'm a missionary.  A representative of Jesus Christ.  I've felt the difference that call as made as I teach.  Theres no describing that feeling -- and I haven't even hit the field yet!
     To my eleven year old Scouts, and all the other young men who still have a  time before you're called, get excited and prepare for this now.  As a missionary, you have the same purpose and title as the General Authorities.  You're called Elders and carry the name of Christ on your chest. When I get home, I'll miss that.  I'll miss this spirit -- and I've felt it often.
     I can tell you that there's now way we could learn a language this difficult without His help.  Not this fast.
     Serving as district leader these past couple weeks, I've talked with other missionaries a lot and asked about their concerns.  Almost all of us have days where we miss our families, but out of all of them, none of hem doubt that we were each called of the Lord.
     I bear solemn witness that this Gospel is true.  I've felt the Spirit confirm to me that Jesus is the Christ, and that His church has been restored.  Joseph Smith was, and is, a prophet of God.  When I recite the First Vision, especially in Korean, I feel a fire burn inside of me.  Read those words, know those words.  Pray about those words.  That'll tell you everything.
     But you've heard enough from me.  You've had prophets bear witness of missionary work.  It' s real.  And it's important.   I love you all.  I'm proud of you young men, and I hope to see you guys out here soon.
     Okay!  Done with pep talk.
     I'm doing great out here!  16 days till Korea, and I'm stoked.  So much happened that I want to talk about.
     From the top:  Last P-day, I finished the last of the family names that I brought with me, so until I get back, the work is yours.  I may ask for a name later when I go through Seoul, but I've got two years before then.
     Later that night we held a district meeting and talked about doing district practice sessions for Korean.  The meeting was great, and since we've started practicing, it's helped us a lot.  I've really been learning how much more a District Leader can do.  It's up to us how much we limit ourselves.  But I've seen a huge jump in our district, we're doing great.  There've been a couple health things that have come up, but there's been improvement over the past couple days.  And it's helped me remember to keep a watchful eye.
    Other awesome news:  Our first investigator was baptized!!!  Bittersweet though, we learned that he has to go back to Korea soon, so we won't be able to meet with him again.  Sad day, he was my favorite to teach.  So now we're practicing tracting.  We'll see how that goes.
     I feel great.  Conference was incredible (day 1 anyway, still waiting for day 2)
     I just get so pumped on the spirit here.  It's hard to believe we've only been here 10 weeks. (ish)  (Typical time warp rant -- I've written it enough, you know what I mean.)
     Some fun things: #1.  I sleep on the floor every night -- feels great.  #2 My companion wakes up to anything.  So I've been practicing methods to get around that.  (My snoring is a lot better I hear.  The folded pillow techniques worked great.)  #3 God will be your alarm clock if you ask in love. (see #2) I like getting up early to study.  My companion needs sleep.  Awesome blessing to have a God who hears you.  #4.  My cereal collection is getting out of hand.  Excellent snack food/chopstick practice though.  #5 I've got my mile speed down to 6:30.  Still a long way to go, but I'm beating my MTC-fat-self back into shape.  #6.  I actually like conducting meetings now.  It presents a fun challenge keeping everything focused.  #7 The weather is getting cooler.  Loving it!!!  I've been missing crisp mornings.  #8  Be careful when you ask God to help improve your leading skills.  #9  (Something I (Mom) could not quite make out. Maybe SVL? ) is so fun -- you talk half as slow, say about a tenth of what you would normally say, and understand about half of that. And yet, all things considered, that’s a miracle. #10 I just got a bunch of papers wet. Sorry about that. #11 Lights out. Tomorrow.
10-07-12
      I’m not really sure what else to write about. I’m starting to get used to this place, and even this new calling. It feels like I hardly have time to study, yet I’m understanding things and retaining then so much so faster. I was talking with the Zone Leaders yesterday, and they felt the same way. The Lord is definitely blessing us, there’s no doubt.
      I guess I never realized what this calling meant. So often we just do the basics, but there’s so much more potential. I’ve poured everything into this, and I’m seeing things change. Since we’ve started doing district practice, we’re starting to get more comfortable using the Korean we know. It’s such a little thing, but it helps a lot. And our district has always been close. That’s why this works. But we’re more untied now. We’re not just friends, we’re a team. I can’t express how good that feels.
     But the part that has helped me grow the most has been talking one on one with other missionaries. Asking about their concerns, what not. Making sure they’re okay. Back home, I always felt drawn to help people, but so often I’d take on their pain with them, rather than only supporting and helping them. I wanted to understand them. But coming out here, having 8 other people to be mindful of, constantly watchful for worries or concerns, for the first few days it was hard. That got in the way of helping a lot of the time. But since then, I’ve quickly learned a few things. I don’t have to experience part of what they’re going through to understand or help them. Someone far better than me already did.
     That changed everything. I feel so much lighter, more confident in leading and taking charge, at the same time knowing when to stop and listen. I learned early in that the beat leaders don’t always shave to talk. They get others to participate. That’s why this district practice is going so well. They're having great ideas, and they’re involved with what we want to do.
     I’m sorry I ramble so much about this, but it’s been on my mind a lot. It’s important to me to do all that I can.
     But I think now it’s time to wrap up. You have my love. I hope you enjoy these last sessions of conference. You guys are the best.



    
    










No comments:

Post a Comment